Today I did J-1 - Josepha's Jonquil. It required reverse applique and applique. I haven't done a lot of reverse applique, and I think I do it my own way. Not sure if it's the way others do it, but it works for me.
Here are my two squares of fabric and my pattern printed out on freezer paper.
I cut out the diamonds and pressed the freezer paper to the wrong side of the background fabric. (most instructions I read have you press it to the front.)
I layered the fabrics both right side up with the paper sandwiched in between.
Here's what it looked like before I cut away the diamonds.
Here are the diamonds cut out a scant 1/4 inch from the cut line.
I basted the block with thread instead of pinning so the pins wouldn't get in the way while I was sewing.
Here I am reverse appliqueing the diamond. I made a straight cut into the seam allowance at the corners, taking extra care at the corners when I stitched it down.
Three down, one more diamond to go.
I trimmed away the excess fabric from the back once the diamonds were sewn in and removed the paper.
The final steps were appliqueing the diamond in the center and then trimming the block to 5 inches.
Here it is all done. Now onto the 2nd one...