Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

Quilt Festival - Spring 2009

Amy over at Park City Girl is hosting a Quilt Festival this week.  I'm a little late to the party.  Friday is the last day, and I'm barely squeaking my entry in.  It's been CrAzY at my house.  That's why I'm up at midnight getting this posted!

We are to share our "favorite" quilt.  Now that would be next to impossible!  So I'll just pick one of the many favorites that I have. 

Last summer I made my son a quilt for his bed (and his birthday).  I wanted it to be a surprise...so as soon as he left for his week long scout camp I got started! My original post about it is here.

I wanted to make him a saxophone quilt since he loves to play his saxophone and we were getting him his very own saxophone (no more renting) for his birthday.  So in my search for saxophone fabric I found this:

Rosies 014
I decided to fussy cut the saxophones and place them into some wonky log cabins.  I worked like crazy all week getting the quilt blocks made and assembled into a quilt-top, layered and quilted.  Then after he got home I would work on the finishing touches after he was in bed.
The night before his birthday I was up way past midnight finishing hand sewing the binding. Here's the last corner!

birthday 013
I worried that it might be too wild and crazy for him...
birthday 019
And it would keep him up at night with all that color.
birthday 014
But he loved it!
birthday 051 birthday 052 birthday 056
He even gets it off his bed to watch TV, or when we go visit Grandma and Grandpa he brings it with him.  Now THAT makes a Mom and a quilt maker happy!
birthday 044

23 comments:

Kriza said...

no wonder he loves it, it is so bright and happy, very well made, congrats!
Kristina
priscillacraft.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Bright and skillfully done, love it!

Quilt Rat said...

Oh my I just LOVE this! Everything about it. It is such a fabulous quilt, so glad you joined this most wonderful festival.

jacquie said...

i remember this quilt....the best picture is of him on it!!! so great!

jlk said...

Such a great quilt for a boy.

Jocelyn said...

Such a great quilt! I made my son a dinosaur quilt 12 years ago, and he still sleeps with it every night. He has grown so tall now, and wanted a new quilt. I asked, which fabric? He said "dinasaur." He is a teen now. Great memories.

diane said...

No wonder he loves this masterpiece. Plus it was made with so much love!

I love his sock tan. That is a familiar look around here.

Zonnah said...

I bet you are a happy quilt mama! You did an amazing job!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cool quilt. Love the colors and it looks great on the bed. Love the fabric choices....Great work!!

Kim W said...

Those are the best boy colors. I love it!

Unknown said...

Great quilt! Even better that he loves it so much :) Thanks for sharing!!

Trisha said...

Great pick, Tina!

Cindy's Stitching said...

Love this quilt. My son is a music buff and I made him a music quilt. Very nice

stitchinpenny said...

Great story and great quilt. At that age the fact that he allows you to know he loves it is huge.

Karen said...

That is the kind of quilt that a kid can grow up with. Great color choices. It would be my favorite quilt too.

Allie said...

I LOVE this quilt. Your color choices are awesome. I love the style, everything about it. WONDERFUL!!!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The saxophone quilt is wonderful - looks like it was the perfect gift for your son.

Judy Alexander said...

This is really a fun quilt. Funny thing is I just painted a 2 1/2 foot sax for a panel for the aids memorial quilt.

3WimmerBoys said...

I love that quilt, the colors are so vibrant! It's perfect for him.

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt! I love the colors, the way you created the squares. Your awesome!

Anja said...

Wow, great quilt!!!

Vicki said...

That's a wonderful quilt and so unique.

Valerie said...

I love this quilt! The colors are amazing!! I love that in every pic, his head is hidden. We have the same thing here, as well as the love for Calvin and Hobbes.